Family Leadership Training Institute
Check out FLTI’s Democracy in Action with Colorado’s Attorney General Phil Weiser. It includes an interview and key activities the Attorney General’s office does.
The Family Leadership Training Institute (FLTI) is a 20-week program offered to Jefferson County adults and teens at no cost that develops effective civic leaders for healthy families and communities. Participants also complete community project as part of the FLTI experience, which provide an opportunity to get hands on experience and network. FLTI graduates learn how to utilize information and resources, while working together with others of different viewpoints, to improve their communities.
Thirteen family Leaders, including 3 teens, celebrated graduation from the Jefferson County Family Leadership Training Institute (FLTI) on Saturday, August 15th in Discovery Park in Wheat Ridge. These leaders started their leadership training in January along with 15 other participants and persevered through social distancing requirements for COVID-19 to complete the last half of their training virtually. Some of the projects these Family Leaders are pursuing include a new program called Circle of Teens, based on the successful Circle of Parents programs supporting parents across the country https://www.circleofparentsco.org/ , a new podcast discussing diversity and social justice, and a listening program to stop teen suicide by training peers in compassionate listening.
“I have learned that there are more things to being a leader than just telling people what to do. You have to have empathy and show kindness. You have to be able to understand what to do and help people even if they are not someone you like very much.” Lilith Syko, Youth Family Leader 2020
The program is free for participants and includes dinner, childcare, and Spanish interpretation during every class.
Undocumented Residents & Immigrant Communities:
Allison Neswood from CCLP wrote a blog that aims to clarify some of the complexity around immigrant eligibility for various safety net programs and what alternatives there are for groups facing eligibility restrictions. Read it here
Expelliarmus boredom! JK Rowling launches ‘Harry Potter at Home’ hub for kids in lockdown
Author JK Rowling has launched an online Harry Potter hub to keep kids educated and entertained during the coronavirus pandemic.
Read on CNN
FLTI in the News
- The Jefferson County Board of Health recently adopted a proclamation connecting citizen’s active engagement in civic life. View the proclamation.
- FLTI Bilingual liaison, Andrea Syko, wins 2019 Wayne Carle Award for Outstanding Contributions to Diversity and Inclusion
- FLTI graduates Georgina Chavez-Vasquez and Susan Brugman share thoughts on life expectancy discrepancies across Colorado.
For more information, contact Kim Massey, Jeffco FLTI Site Coordinator – firstname.lastname@example.org, 303.271.6635
Thank you to our sponsors and donors:
- Community First Foundation
- Community Health Foundation
- CSU Department of Human Development & Family Studies
- Einstein Bros.
- Faith Lutheran Health Ministries Team
- Jefferson County
- Jefferson County Communities that Care
- Jefferson County Open Space
- Jefferson County Public Health
- King Soopers
- Lakewood Legacy Foundation
- LAUNCH Together Jeffco
- Mountair Christian Church
- Natural Grocers
- Rocky Mountain College of Art & Design
Interested in being a sponsor? Contact Kim Massey, Jeffco FLTI Site Coordinator – email@example.com, 303.271.6635