Enrollment Open for the 4-H Youth Development Program
Youth ages 8-18 began enrolling for the 2016-17 4-H year on October 16. The 4-H program invites existing members to re-enroll before December 16, 2017. New members have until May 1, 2017, to enroll in order to be able to show at the Jeffco Fair & Festival in August, 2017.
4-H offers a Cloverbud program for youth ages 5-7 that is non-competitive. Enrollment in 4-H costs $45 per child for the year, which goes through the end of September, 2017. Families can sign up by creating a family profile at https://co.4honline.com/. We provide solutions for the future through youth development!
THE PROBLEM: America Needs More True Leaders.
America is facing a critical need for more leaders – true leaders – prepared with the skills to deal with the problems of today and the challenges of tomorrow. (http://reports.weforum.org/outlook-global-agenda-2015/global-leadership-and-governance/the-call-to-lead/)
- We all know a true leader when we see one. They lead by example work well with others; endure through challenges; and stick to a job until it gets done.
- However, many of America’s youth are not prepared with the skills they need to lead in the most fundamental areas of their lives today and their careers tomorrow.
- It is a serious problem now that that will lead to a severe leadership void in the years to come – impacting communities across America, and nearly every industry and sector.
THE BRIDGE: Today’s Youth Feel Unprepared to Lead.
Every child has the potential to be a true leader. However, young people today say they lack the opportunities that prepare them with the skills to lead.
- Today’s youth want to lead. A 2016 4-H National Youth Survey on Leadership revealed most youth (88%) believe they can make a difference, they see themselves as leaders (74%) and they feel a responsibility to lead (73%).
- However, only one in three young people says they have the skills they need to be prepared to lead. Half of all high school students report they are not prepared to lead in their life after high school – for college or career. (http://www.achieve.org/rising-challenge-powerpoint)
- Also, many don’t feel encouraged by the adults in their lives – with more youth (86%) saying adults recognize the negative in their generation than youth saying adults recognize the positive.
- Youth say they need more encouragement from adults and more hands-on experiences that will help them build confidence and grow skills.
THE SOLUTION: Youth Empowered To Truly Lead—Putting Youth Voices into Positive Action.
4-H gives young people experiences – where they can learn by doing, grow from failure, express their ideas, and lead. We tap into their potential and empower them to become true leaders.
- In 4-H, we believe in the power of young people. We recognize that every child has valuable strengths and can have real potential to improve the world…to show us all what it means to be a true leader.
- 4-H provides the kinds of experiences that help young people grow into true leaders.
For more information, contact Lisa Sholten, Extension Agent, 4-H Youth Development at CSU Extension, Jefferson County, 303-271-6657, or visit the 4-H home page at http://jeffco.extension.colostate.edu/4-h/.